Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Partly Why I Enjoy Architecture


When I think of culture I think of food, clothing, movies, music, artwork, religion, literature, architecture etc. I look forward to designing buildings for the city that I live in because those buildings will be my contribution to the culture. Those buildings will be my representation or voice.
I think every person would benefit from finding some way, big or small, to contribute to their culture. If you are not contributing, can you really say that it is yours? It becomes flipped and people start being subjected to a culture that they had nothing to do with creating. As Americans we are probably the guiltiest. We have realized that a lot of our culture is lame and we have become excellent at pushing it away and criticizing it. Rather than criticizing it, let us take the responsibility to make an influence and start producing a better culture between us. If we do this it will change entire communities and give the individual a sense of place.
 I will note that there are wonderful subcultures within the states and many people subscribe to these cultures rather than being subjected. But why just subscribe to the magazine when you could write an article? 

No comments:

Post a Comment