Monday, July 11, 2011

Suresh!


I already admire the more theoretical approach to architecture here in India. The other day in studio we were discussing why we need public spaces in cities. We talked about how the existing urban structure enables people to separate themselves for the sake of privacy. Public spaces break up this rigid structure and unite varying people with a shared experience and memory. It is in the public spaces that people will learn social respect and tolerance. When there is a lack of respect or tolerance, a public space can also serve as venue to speak out against injustice and exemplify love.
            Citizens also claim ownership of their city when they occupy and use public spaces. It is made apparent that the city belongs to all of the citizens equally which is desperately needed in the Indian society.
            I just spent the weekend in Mumbai on a field trip with my studio and it was incredible! The students here are like family and they readily adopted Thomas Kaylyn and I. Our new Indian nicknames are Ramesh, Mira, and Suresh respectively. We visited many beautiful places in Mumbai and one night we turned a regular bar into a dance club, which was a ton of fun. Some guy told me that he had connections in bollywood and he thought that I could be a star so that’s good. Its nice to know I have options ;)
            I’m praising God for this incredible opportunity and experience. I still have moments where it hits me that I’m in freakin’ India!!! Can’t wait for what’s to come.       


No comments:

Post a Comment